Greek Olive Oil white Christmas Cookies Kourambiedes, basically all you need to know is that when it comes to Christmas cookies in Greece there are 2 types, the white icing topped crunchy cookies and melomakarona, the honey topped, filled moist cookies. These 2 cookies have given inspiration to the Greek cookie war! The ones that love one and the ones that love the other. It may seem akward but there are endless Christmas day conversations each group defending their own favourite cookie, why not try both and see how your family fair.
Find the melomakarona recipe here
- TIME NEEDED
- 45 mins
- 2 cups Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 cups white sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extracts
- 1 cup roasted almonds
- a little cognac
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 cups flour for all uses
- icing sugar for finishing
- Add in a big bowl the Olive Oil and the Sugar and beat well until the sugar dissolves. This will be around 15 min so take care of some breaks! The mix should come out creamy.
- Add the almonds, the liquor, vanilla extracts and start mixing. Start adding slowly the flour and the baking powder until the pastry dough becomes tighter but still stretchy.
- Start forming your cookies trying to keep the same size.
- Place the kourambiedes on a prepared sheet tray and bake them around 30 min in a preheated oven.
- Leave them to cool and drizzle as much drizzling sugar you like
When the cookies are ready, before drizzling the icing sugar, you can add a little rose-water on them!